We were late for our own wedding, the first time. Yes, anyone who knows Mark knows that Punctual is not his middle name. It isn't even in his vocabulary. The man is an eternal optimist, being convinced that no matter how delayed his departure, he'll still get there on time. And thus, we were so late for our own wedding that he walked down the aisle at Temple Beth-El on May 30, 1981, with his car keys in his hand.
My expression post-ceremony, above, says it all.
It will come as no surprise, then, that even knowing December 31st was our deadline, we waited until December 22nd to apply for our marriage license. I believe it was on December 23rd that it occurred to us we would need to find someone to tie the proverbial knot in a relatively legal way, and some place to do it. Intrepid Googler that I am, I entered "justice of the peace Tacoma" and discovered that there is a listing for Irish Moonservices right here in Gig Harbor. Now there was convenience, and, picturing a charming couple of Celtic clergy, I promptly placed the call.

They never called back.
So I did further research. Turns out that Irish Moonservices is also a (get this) housecleaning service. We took considerable delight in imagining how they would come to our place, vacuum, clean from top to bottom and then put the Windex down, pull off their rubber gloves and have us repeat our vows.

Hmm. Maybe it was better that they didn't call back, though our house could use a good vacuuming.
No comments:
Post a Comment